Who am I if i do not exist in cyberspace? Who am I if I cannot be found on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter?
For clothing brands, businesses and food havens social media presence is vital for marketing success.
When I start to get hungry I immediately jump onto Tripadvisor to google the top 5 breakfast locations in my vicinity then I move onto instagram to make sure the pictures match what I am after. Does it matter that I do not know these people personally? Not at all, and companies need to watch out as 55% of users make purchase decisions based on the first 5 reviews they read, and if you are not being reviewed about then how do I even know you exist?
175 million users registered with Facebook in 2009. Organisations who do not utilise this platform could essentially be missing out at the possibility of targeting this segment of the market directly.
Understandably there are some reasons organisations do not engage in an active social media presence such as lack of knowledge, time and funds. Despite this there are many various platforms that all require different levels of engagement that should and could be considered.
For those who are just starting out a great way to begin is to devise a “social media strategy.” This will give you a timeline and procedure of how you are going to boost your online presence.
- Executive Summary – budget, objectives, reason for social media marketing
- Benchmarks and Metrics – what success are you looking for? what factors will be affected by SM marketing.
- Communication platforms – what SM platforms do you want to be on? How do you use these platforms and what results do you want from them individually?
- Key Influencers – Who is going to thrive on your brand’s marketing offers and further push your products and brand identity?
- Next Steps – Actions, plans
A strategy is a good beginning as you can see your targets and what you prospectively want to occur.
BUT BEWARE – PLANNING AND ACTIVITY IS CRUCIAL….
It is a brutal competition out there and your only element of control with external social networking is to ensure the flow of continuous happy customers. McDonald’s may need a rain check on their #McDstories